Maharashtra is the second most populous state by region and the third largest by state. Maharashtra has been created as a Marathi-speaking state. It is bounded on the west by the Arabian Sea, to the south, Telangana and Chhattisgarh, Gujrat and Madhya Pradesh in North and Dadra and Nagar Haveli in the west.
Though not as popular as northern Indian states, Maharashtra has many tourist destinations to visit. Best 5 of them are-
- Mumbai: Mumbai, the capital of Maharashtra, is the financial capital of India and home to the Bollywood film world of India. Mumbai is known as the dream city. Dreams of many, built and destroyed here. Mumbai creates top attractions including Mumbai’s Gateway of India. Mumbai also has a nightlife, with bars, live music venues, national parks and traveller hangouts.
- Ajanta-Ellora: The Ajanta and Ellora caves are located about 400 km (250 miles) from Mumbai, close to Aurangabad, at North Maharashtra. There are 34 caves here in Ellora. Ajanta Caves are famous for sculpture, the Ellora Caves are famous for their extraordinary architectural works. The most incredible of all these caves is that they were made by hand, with only knife and hammer.
- Matheran: The British discovered Matheran during occupying time of India. It the nearest hill station of Mumbai. At an altitude of 800 meters (2,625 feet) above sea level it is situated. But the most unique thing about it and what makes it so special is that all vehicles are banned – even bicycles. It’s a quiet place to stay away from any noise and pollution. Get there with toy train.
- Lonavala: It is a popular foggy rainy destination, and the atmosphere around it was the backdrop for many Bollywood movie song and dance scenes. Attractions include castles, lookouts, lakes, dams and waterfalls. Paragliding sport also available in Lonavala. There are many things to do in Lonavala.
- Mahabaleshwar: Fresh strawberries as well as mulberry, raspberries are harvested here for these go to the Mahabaleshwar, in the Western Ghats Mountains (known as the Sahyadri Mountains of Maharashtra).